Thursday, March 13, 2014

HAWAII! Part 2: Days 6-11

DAY6: After our most satisfying day at Big Beach, Cindy offered to watch the kids while Jeff and I braved the Road to Hana - him on a road bike with Sven and I with my sisters in a car, while Krista's friend, Todd, rented a motorbike for it. We enjoyed some delicious banana bread together at the little food stand early on the road, before heading out at our own pace.


We stopped at Waianapanapa (Black Sand Beach) State Park for a little exploring.


I wanted to make it all the way to the southern part of the Haleakala park to do the Pipiwai trail, so we headed there quickly with only a few stops.  Surprisingly, none of us got car sick on the way there.

The trail starts at the coast, to view the Seven Sacred pools of Oheo.  Very cool.  A satisfying little hike with a pretty decent waterfall at the end, though no pool to swim in at the base.
DAY 7: Cindy's Mom and husband Paul happened to be in Maui at the same time, so we drove north to visit her in Napili Bay for snorkeling and playing in their pool.  It was the day I had my close encounter with a turtle while snorkeling - very awesome. 


DAY 8: Cindy and I took the kids with Kim and Adam to do a hike along Twin Falls trail, but first stopped at Hookipa Beach to check out surfers.  We were treated to some fresh coconut drink by some locals.

The Twin Falls hike was perfect for the kids, if not just a little muddy from all the rain.

(There was a small group of Japanese hikers that took a liking to Simon on the trail):

DAY 9: Monday, I had booked surfing lessons for pretty much everyone except Krista, Todd, Megan and Cindy, who watched on the beach with Simon. They guaranteed everyone would get up and we all did!  It was soooo much easier than when we were in San Diego in 2008.  Callum, Teddy and Max each got up on their first try!  So cool.  Jeff worked his butt off to get up, and Kim struggled a bit, but everyone worked hard and got seriously tired out by the end of day.



DAY 10: I really wanted to check out the Iao Valley.  The kids were feeling kind of lazy that day but we got them out the check out the "needle" and the valley really was lovely. That night, Jeff and I were able to escape for an amazing meal at Mama's Fish House.


DAY 10: Our last day, we got in some beach time at Baby Beach and Kamaole III in Kihei.  The whole trip, Adam and Simon shared a funny relationship, but I think they generally enjoyed eachother.

Although the trip started out a little unpleasant, with the disappointing weather, it turned out pretty awesome.  I may choose an all-inclusive resort in Mexico next time, to avoid what seemed like constant food-preparation for the kids, but we'll be back to Hawaii, I'm sure.  Just not in January.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you have the photos from the surfing lessons! I need to get them somehow. Do you want to send me photos to include in a Blurb Book of the trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I don't have those surfing pictures either... (krista)

    ReplyDelete